Galway is renown for itís many tourist attractions.
Eyre Square (renamed John F Kennedy Park); an open green park where on can relax or view the many attractions, including the cannons which were presented to the Connaught Rangers at the end of the Crimean War 1854-1856. The centrepiece is the fountain, built in 1984, consisting of a copper-coloured representation of the sails of the Galway Hooker.
Atlantaquaria, as Irelandís National Aquarium, is home to the countryís largest display of marine and fresh water life. There are talks through-out the day during summer on a variety of topics including Fin Whale, Touch Pool, Fresh water Fish Feeding etc.
The Spanish Arch
The Spanish Arch is built in 1584 and located on the banks of the River Corrib, as an extension of the city walls that protected the quay.
Lynch's Castle is a fine stone building and a townhouse which dates back to the 14th century. Mayor Lynch is reputed to have hanged his son for murder. Lynchís Castle was once the home to the most powerful family in Galway.
Cathedral of our Lady
Erected on the site of an old jail in 1965, this massive church is constructed in Galway limestone with green Connemara marble floors and was one of the last Cathedrals in Europe made from stone.
Collegiate Church of St Nicholas of Myra
Built in 1320, this is one of the largest medieval parish churches in Ireland and is dedicated to the patron saint of travellers. The church contains elaborate tombs, chapels and some of the finest examples of Galway's medieval stone carvings and flags of forgotten wars.
Galway's most important medieval street is home to Busker Browne's Pub which contains part of the 'Slate Nunnery', given to the Dominican nuns in 1686 by John Kirwan. Further down the lane is were Wolfe Tone played in the little theatre founded by 'Humanity' Dick Martin in the 18th century.
National University of Galway
Established as one of the Queens' Colleges in Ireland in 1845 and it officially opened in 1849. The oldest and prettiest part of the college (the "Quadrangle") is a replica of the corresponding building at Oxford University.